March 18, 2011

Reading reading reading

Since I was little I've had this affliction for reading anything and everything. I truly believed that it was the gateway to everything. Often I would sit in the car and read every single sign we would pass. I'd crane my neck and stare behind us in order to read signs we had passed. Eventually, I resigned to just reading the signs that caught my eye which were inevitably street signs due to their bright green shade and clear Helvetian font. As I grew older I began to notice the advertising ploys of certain companies. For instance the arrow in the word FedEx to imply speedy delivery. Or the two people eating a chip over a bowl if salsa in the Tostitos logo. I also noticed perceptively unintentional typography like the fact that in the Jack and the Box logo, the "o" and the "x" were connected to look like a fish. I grew apt at recognizing logos even without the brand names on them. I knew the shapes of every fast food restaurant logo and can recognize nearly every clothing store brand symbol. It's completely nerdy and useless but whatever.

I noticed another unintentional message similar to the the Jack and the Box fish the other day at my stop downtown. A catering truck was parked across the street with the phrase "the preferred foods of chefs." but there, in the middle of it all was a red line underlining the letters "err." maybe because I'm so used to reading everything or maybe because I used to e an English major but I took this to mean that for one reason or another, their food was flawed in someway. I couldn't shake the message that choosing them would be an error of some sort. I giggled at the logo and imagined the ad executives that designed this laughing as well as they sent their tiny red line off to be printed all over the merchandise, quitting the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment