June 12, 2011

Character Introduction: Scout

Soo...while writing, I realized that I need to flesh out some of my characters more. Scout is my main character and the realest to me so I figured I'd introduce you two so you could get to know him (and tell me what you think.) If you have other questions you'd like Scout to answer, please post them in the comments.




Tell us about yourself.
My name is Scout Thanos. I'm 17 years old and sooo close to graduating high school. I really can't wait to get out of that place. It's suffocating. The teachers are always telling you what to do and where to be, what to wear and how to act. I don't understand how anyone can survive with all those rules.

What do you do for fun?
I spend most of my free time keeping myself from being bored. Sometimes I watch TV or chill in my room and listen to music but for the most part I like to go out and find something fun to do. One time I got home from school and spent the rest of the day gathering all of the pillows, mattresses and blankets in a pile outside of my bedroom window and then I called my friends over and we all took turns jumping out the window onto the pad. It was a blast! It felt like I was flying... Someday I'm gonna fly right out of this place, I swear to God.

Can you tell us about your family?
I have two older brothers, Eric and Jonathan. They're alright. They've both been away at college for the past few years so I don't really see them. When they lived at home though, they used to drive me nuts. Eric would always come home and change the TV to some anime show he liked, even if I was already watching something. He was really annoying growing up. He kind of seemed to calm down when he left for college. I don't know if he matured because he's at college and not living with Mom and Dad anymore or if he's matured because he's gotten older. Haha! Jonathan still comes home every weekend. He went to the community college on the mainland so he's only a half hour drive away. I don't think he's changed as much as Eric has at college. He's still the same, quiet Jonathan that stays out of everyone's way but makes a point to do his own thing.

And your parents?
My parents are alright. My dad, Will, is a truck driver. He's been all over the United States and most of Canada. He's home about 6 times a year and never for more than a weekend at time. When I was really little, I used to beg him to take me with him on one of his trips and he'd always say, "When you're older, Scout." Then he'd hop into his cab, make the engine scream to life and drive off. He's always driving off. My mother, Molly, raised us pretty much by herself. My dad would send her money throughout the year but I still don't remember a time when my mom wasn't working. She's been the receptionist at Dr. Scalaf's office since before I was born. There's nothing really special about her. She's a good mom. She taught me to tie my shoes and pee in the toilet instead of my pants. But I honestly can't remember a time when she kissed my knee after I scraped it on the ground or smoothed my hair trying to get me to close my eyes while I fought off sleep. I don't remember her reading to me as a child or telling me how good my finger painting was. She just isn't an affectionate mother. She's reliable, that's for sure, but definitely not affectionate. But I mean, I don't think it changed me at all. I'm okay. I go to school. I make alright grades. I have friends. I'm not socially awkward. Yeah, I'm alright.

What are your favorite things?
My favorite things in life is kind of a complicated subject. My favorite color is anything bright. I like things that catch people's eye. I want them to stare and wonder what the heck I'm wearing or what I've done to my hair. I don't mind being the center of attention. I guess I get that from being the youngest in my family. I like doing anything that's outside: running, biking, swimming, sailing, laying in the grass, going on walks. Staying inside just seems so boring to me. I need sunlight in my life.

What are your friends like?
My best friends are Mena, Catherine and Greg. We've known each other since elementary school and it SUCKS that we're all going to different colleges. Well, they are. I'm still not sure if I'm gonna go or not. I told them that I applied to all these places but in all honesty, I haven't sent out one. It's not that I'm scared, I'm just not sure it's something that I want. Who wants to move out of their parents house where they have to pay for everything and CHOOSE to go to school? No one. Especially me. No, I'd rather spend my time sailing around the world or going on an archeological dig and finding the next King Tut. I'd rather be having tea with Queen Liz or meditating with the Tibetan monks. I guess I just want more of an adventure and college just can't offer that to me.

What do you want to be when you grow up?
You know, I'm not really sure what I want to do with my life. I think I'm too young to decide on that right now. I figure I'll just see where this summer leaves me off and go from there.

No comments:

Post a Comment