June 8, 2011

A Piece of Paper

So today at work (for those that don't know, I work in a restaurant,) my boss's boss was in observing her (my boss) technique on the line. (Again for those that don't know, the line is where the food comes from the kitchen into the servers hands.) Anyway, he was in observing which immediately put everyone on edge because our boss threatened our jobs if we weren't cooperative. Cool. So already at 11:00 AM I'm stressed out. But I tried to ignore him and just do what I do everyday: take the shit orders, bag the shit food, give them to shit people and take their delicious money. I do try to help my friends out when I have the time. Mostly because their my friends but also because they help me out too. If I'm being completely honest, I bust my fucking ass there. I'm always doing shit for people, even the people I dont like. I greet tables, seat people, bus tables, just generally help out when I can. I mean, I'm a nice guy and if someone asks me to do something when I'm standing around not doing anything, of course I'm gonna help out. But that's neither here nor there, really.

At the end of the shift, my boss's boss gathered us all together to thank us for "allowing him in our kitchen." Whatever, he pretty much owns the place. But he was trying to be respectful, I get it. And after thanking us he said he wanted to recognize someone who was always available to help out, constantly refilling drinks, stocking and running food even though it wasn't his job or his table. That person was me. Hurray.....kind of. See, the company I work for, instead of giving monotary rewards (raises) for jobs well done, they give these slips of paper that say, "hey. Thanks for doing that. You're a real team player." ......mother fucker, does it look like I can pay rent with this shit? Don't get me wrong, I'm greatful for being recognized for doing a great job. I really do enjoy the praise. But if you're going to give me something in return, make it cash or gtfo. I have received 23 of these little slips of paper since I started working at this restaurant. 23! That's more than once a week! I just don't even know what to do with them any more. At first I put them on my fridge but that seemed silly. I didn't even want them in the first place so why was I keeping them? I WANT to rip them up and give my boss tiny paper cuts on her eyes...but I don't. I just give her my best "who me?! Thank you!" smile and take the paper home. It promptly goes in the trash but at least I take it home.

Maybe I'm ungreatful but I like to call it poor. I struggle every month to pay rent and all of my bills. I'm lucky that I have the most understanding roommate and parents in the world who are always willing to help me out. But seriously? I bust my ass 6 days a week for you and all I get is a piece of paper? This little scrap makes me want to NOT bust my ass for you. And maybe it's just me but giving out THAT many "rewards" so frequently doesn't really make them rewards anymore. They're more like their true form: shitty bits of paper with my name spelled wrong.

1 comment:

  1. Wow. Not good. You're a good man for helping out your fellow employees. Too bad you couldn't get more of a reward for it though.

    ReplyDelete