October 20, 2010

The games we play

One thing I'll never understand is the human compulsion to play mind games with the people that we're attracted to.

Currently, I am watching a group of people, two girls, two boys. One boy has said something offensive to one of the girls and now she has stood and threatened to walk home. (Apparently, she's very far from home.) But does she storm off in a huff? No, she meanders across the parking lot and then dances along the speedbumps, taking her sweet time to find her way home. Finally, the other girl says to the offensive boy "She wants you to go after her." So he stands and jogs over to her. And what do they do? They immediately start kissing. What was the point of that?! Why didn't the girl just admit that that the teasing she received from the boy was attractive and just kiss him? Why did the boy feel the need to tease her in the first place? Why didn't he just lean in and kiss her anyway? So childish. This isn't the playground. People's emotions aren't to be toyed with.

Who invented "playing hard to get" anyway and why? What purpose does it serve? Is the chase really worth it? Or are you so conceited to think that someone has to work for your love?

I don't understand why you should want someone to have to work for your heart. In my opinion, if you love someone, you should be only more than happy to relinquish your everything. If you love them, shouldn't you want to trust them with one of the most fragile things of the human psyche?

And I'll admit, I play games too. I'm coy and pseudo-shy. I make my men push and push to try to get to my real emotions. And why? I need to know they care. But the fucked up thing is that they're showing me that they care, just not in the way that I want them to. So I hide and I run and I play these games until I get what I want. Does anyone else see how childish that is?

And yet for many, it's an impulse. A vicious cycle that I am certain to be trapped in.

-K

1 comment:

  1. Well, first, isn't it just plain old fun to play the game? The "happiness of pursuit"?

    But, maybe the brain is there to protect the heart from the slings and arrows; the heart-ache and the thousand natural shocks that flesh is heir to. As a bipolar I've felt the cold harsh wind and relished in it, only to find that night falls fast.

    A ship is safest in the harbor, but that's not what it is built for. Still, only a fool would ignore the weather before setting sail.

    Make any damn sense at all? If so, I failed.

    ReplyDelete