October 31, 2010

This space and silver linings

In general, I try not to miss things. I try not to miss people when I'm away from them for a long time. I try not to miss towns I haven't been to in a while. I try not to miss doing things I used to do on a daily basis...

But sometimes I just can't help it.

This past weekend, I got to visit a lot of friends that I went to university with and being here has brought back a lot of really great memories and it makes me miss the town that we lived in a lot. I loved living in that small college town. I was never bored, rarely lonely. I was surrounded by people that thought and acted like me. How could you not miss that?

And when I'm back at home, away from all of the people that I love, I try not to miss being there. It's just too painful. It's too hard to miss that place and those people. I'm 100% a "glass half-full" kind of guy and so I really do try to see the great things about the city that I do live in. My best friend is there; my nephew is there; my job is there; I live for free there; my parents are there.

But sometimes, when it's really late at night and I'm sifting through the news feed on my facebook, and I see all the fun that my university friends are having without me, I can't help but wish that I was there too.

And moving back to my city was completely my own choice and my own fault and I don't regret it at all. Well, let me clarify that I don't regret the choice but there are certain consequences about that choice that I do regret. I regret giving up seeing some of my favorite people in the whole world everyday. I regret being in a town where I'm the normal one instead of a sort of social freakshow. I regret giving up school....which I should have just toughed it out and finished.

But these are my choices. And while I miss that town, especially those people, I have made these choices and I will focus on my silver lining: my best friend (which I sobbed over because I missed her so much when she was abroad in Spain for a year) lives in my city. My nephew (who is growing up faster than I can imagine) lives in my city. My family, my job, my childhood, it's all in that city. I live a great life there and I am grateful.


-K

No comments:

Post a Comment