October 17, 2010

The start of all things

Let me begin by saying that I am from Texas but I am in no way stereotypically Texan. While Texas will always be my home and I will never love a state like I love Texas, I am far from anything you can expect a Texan to be.

I want....need to live in a big city.
I do not ride horses on a regular basis.
I do not like country music.
I do not wear boots or 10 gallon hats.
I have only seen a cow three times in my life and have yet to touch, much less milk, one.
I am liberal.
I am Pro-Choice.
I am an advocate of Equal Rights.
I voted for President Barack Obama.

And I am a homosexual.

Never in my life have I felt that I fit in here. I've always imagined a world outside of this state. I would see movies and television shows depicting fabulous gay men living lavish lifestyles and I would think to myself, "Self," because I always reference myself when thinking to him. I'd think, "Self, one day, that will be you out there. Dressed in only the finest clothes and being driven around like Jackie O. Someone important. Someone everyone wants to be around. Someone....fabulous."

Cut to 15 years later; I'm 22 and still living in Texas (in my parents house, no less) Not once have I moved from this state. Not for college, not for love, not even just to escape. And like I said before, I don't hate it here. I really don't. Nothing beats the wide the open plains, the rolling hills, the best State Fair in all of the United States, and, of course, the Livestock Show and Rodeo (even though I've never been. I don't do well with the smell of manure.) But honestly? Something doesn't feel quite right here. Maybe it's the lack of similar (homosexual) people. Maybe it's the heat. Maybe it's the weird stares I get when I go into my favorite nail salon for a mani-pedi with my bestie while I'm sipping a latte and flipping through the most recent issue of vogue. I don't really know. But as much as things don't feel right here, something keeps bringing me back home.



Now, I must warn you, readers, that I never hold back. I will talk about everything here: sex, drugs, alcohol, men, fashion, jobs, family, friends, politics, religion....everything. But I am more than a homosexual. I am a writer, an uncle, an avid reader of classic books, a social networker, a youtuber, an employee. But the thing that will always outshine the rest: homosexual. So with that being said, I will tell you I have never held back a word that has come into my mind and I am not about to start now. Some of this may make you feel uncomfortable and that's okay. Life is about being uncomfortable sometimes; welcome to life, y'all, it's time to get uncomfortable.

-K

3 comments:

  1. Fellow Texan here and I know what you're talking about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Speak up girl friend! - bsyt

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are, and always will be, fabulous. :-)

    ReplyDelete