November 14, 2010

Trendsetter

Okay, as much as everyone likes to label me as the vain, self-centered gay man, I really don't see myself that way. And honestly, I don't really see myself as Holier-than-thou in the slightest but...there is, on occasion, evidence to the contrary.

Like most people my age, I had to wait until I got a college e-mail address to get my facebook and so by the time I got onto the site, nearly every college student in America had an account. But I know for a fact that I was the first in my circle of friends to get their account and set it up completely. I experienced a similar event with LiveJournal, Xanga, and MySpace. All of these I got at least two months before I knew anyone that had an account on these websites.

Now, I'll be the first to admit that I was late to Twitter. I really was. Thousands of people had Twitter accounts before I ever did. However, I only knew (irl) of one person that had an account and she was actually the one that convinced me to get one. And it seemed to me that the WEEK after I got my account, everyone I knew had a Twitter account and were tweeting all the time and coming to me with all these questions about how to work all of the sites features and such. It was kind of surprising.

And as much as I'd like to think that I don't have this much sway over my friends, I can't help but recognize that none of them were willing to join these sites until after I had established my account. And ironically, as I write this blog, I'm noticing more and more of my friends just happen to also want to start a blog.

Do I really hold this much sway over my friends? Or am I just by happenstance slightly ahead of the curve? No one could know for sure...

-K

1 comment:

  1. If it wasn't for you I wouldn't have gotten a Twitter.... at least because I couldn't set it up haha

    ReplyDelete