January 1, 2012

Day 1

Today's desk:



Today's completed challenge:


The thing about fitting something into the palm of your hand is that I feel like your palm doesn't have dimensions. I feel like the palm of my hand can hold so much and yet so little. It can hold all of my hopes, dreams, the names of all of my family members, names of friends I see on a daily basis, pens, pencils, money, you...the world. I feel like the palm of my hand is both immensely infinite as well as immensely finite. Within my physical world, it can only hold something about the same size as my heart. (I mean grip. I can definitely hold things larger than my heart depending on weight and how it's proportioned.) But I feel like in the idiomatic sense, the palm of my hand could hold anything and everything. I feel like I'm ill-equipped to imagine things that could fit into the palm of my hand. When I was thinking about this challenge, my first thought was to write a word in the middle of my actual hand and take a picture of that but then I wondered, "What word? Why that word? What does it say about me? What will others think about it?" So I decided to put several words in the palm of my hand. Part of me wishes I had drawn it on my desk...and who knows? Maybe I will later today but I'm just afraid of messing up and paper I can just throw away but I can't throw away my desk.

Speaking of, it's a mess now, isn't it? It's kind of stressing me out. I love to have lots of clean space when I work. That way I'm not compulsively straightening things like I do with the rest of the house. Which is in a rather annoyingly state of shit show right now. Since it was New Year's last night, everyone just left their drinks where they were and went to bed. If I didn't have to be up at 5:00 AM this morning, I would have cleaned while everyone slept but I really needed to be asleep. Sheesh, it's already 5:00 PM! I hate when the day gets away from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment